It’s an absolute necessity. Daylight Savings time seems to overtake the classroom on both ends of student and teacher. Today was a nice catch up day with my students who were at the author skype on Friday and a good review for the students that were present for our connotation/denotation discussion in the first place.
I don’t have much to say today. It was a nonstop day, but here are some good lines I heard today in my teaching endeavors:
– “I just want.. to be better.”
– “You know, back in the day Miss! It was a Wednesday!” (appropriate Dane Cook reference by 10th graders always make me smile.)
– “Miss (that’s me!) has a sweet tooth, but only at certain times, you have to catch her exactly when it happens or she’ll go and be a traitor and buy candy from somewhere else!” (what!? a girl gets hungry…)
– Me: “what does this face say?” Student: “That I probably should sit down and stop taking things off your desk?” Me: “Well played, grasshopper.”
– Student: “I get to teach tomorrow? For real!? YES!” (socratic day in debate class tomorrow, they fight over who gets to run the socratic.)
– Senior student who is having trouble passing FCAT (required to graduate) : “Miss (me again!), when I pass the ACT or the FCAT, will you throw me a pizza party?” (I might’ve said yes. ::guilty:: is that bad?)
And those are just a few glimpses into my day. Not bad, not exceptional, but good in general :).